Sunday, October 14, 2012

Digital Story-Telling and Video Production in EFL Classes



As  a continuation to my previous posts about implementing new technologies in EFl classrooms, I’d like to discuss digital story-telling as another interesting and useful tool to be integrated in regular English language classes. I personally think that video production can help English teachers to engage the learners in a meaningful task-based learning, which in itself promotes the target language use in a meaningful context.
Like some of the technological tools discussed in my previous posts, video production, first of all, fosters collaboration and interaction among learners. It is a good way of sharing interesting information with your peers. Last week we had a group assignment; we had to produce a short video and later share it with our classmates. I found this type of activity really engaging and informative. We produced a tutorial and I found it not only to be fun but also helpful in terms of language use. Besides, while shooting the video we had to pay attention to some technical issues such as the light, sound quality, music, etc. Although our video was not a perfect one, we all enjoyed the process of producing it.
I think in the future I ‘d like try this technology  with my students. This will help them to view the English language as a tool to produce something really meaningful. Furthermore, this kind of activity is a great shift from traditional language learning. This is something that the “digital youth” will definitely like doing. I think as teachers, we should help our learners use the target language in a context that really appeals to them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment